Moreland Road between Nicholson Street-Holmes Street and Cameron Street
14 May 2018
As part of the modernisation of Melbourne's tram network, Yarra Trams and Public Transport Victoria are repairing tram tracks at Moreland Road between Nicholson Street / Holmes Street and Cameron Street.
The tracks in the work zone are over 46 years old and areas need to be replaced. The new tracks and overheads will increase service reliability, safety and ride comfort for passengers.
Eight new tram poles will be installed at night at select locations from 11pm Tuesday 15 May continuing as required. This work will involve a few hours of medium level noise at each location. Affected residents will be notified via letter.
Preliminary rail welding starts 28 May until 8 June on Moreland Road, temporarily using on-street parking:
- Outside the carpark at the Moreland Hotel at 160 Moreland Road.
- Outside the Moreland Kindergarten at 157 Moreland Road.
- Outside Moreland General practice at 80 Moreland Road.
- North side of Moreland Road between Cameron St to Sydney Rd.
Major work has been broken into two stages.
Starting at 12am on Saturday 9 June (Friday night) works will continue 24 hours a day for three days, three roads will be closed to 5am Tuesday 12 June 2018.
- Moreland Road between Cameron Street and Nicholson Street/Holmes Street.
- Cameron Street between Cozens Street and Moreland Road.
- Sydney Road to traffic between Blair Street and Albion Street.
Stage 1 road access
Moreland Rd will be closed from Cameron Street to Nicholson Street / Holmes Street from 12am Saturday 9 June (Friday night) to 5am Tuesday 12 June.
- Sydney Rd will be closed between Blair Street and Albion Street.
- Nicholson Street north-south traffic maintained.
Starting at 12am Saturday 9 June (Friday night) works will continue 24 hours a day to 5am Saturday 16 June 2018.
- Moreland Rd between Cameron Street to Sydney Road will be open.
- Moreland Road will be closed between Sydney Road and Nicholson Street / Holmes Street.
- Sydney Road / Moreland Road intersection will be open to traffic.
Stage 2 road access
Moreland Road will be closed from Sydney Road / Moreland Road intersection to Nicholson Street / Holmes Street between 12am Saturday 9 June.
- Sydney Road and Nicholson Street north-south traffic maintained.
- Detours will be in place and traffic controllers will direct traffic and help facilitate local access where needed.
- Residents will have no vehicular access to driveways during the staged road closures.
- Residents within the work area on Moreland Road are encouraged to park on alternative streets noting local parking restrictions.
Route 1, 6 and 19 services will be affected.
To ensure the operation of tram services during stage one works (12am 9 June to 5am 12 June) is maintained, trams will park on Sydney Road between Moreland Rd and Albion St.
For more details closer to the time, please visit yarratrams.com.au/servicechanges
Safety fencing will be installed kerb to kerb. Footpaths will stay open at all times.
Noise and dust
Noise and dust from construction is unavoidable. To finish on time, construction will take place 24/7, with noisiest periods between 6am to 10pm. We will do all we can to reduce impacts to the community.
We advise that this work is being performed in accordance with our obligations to Public Transport Victoria and is necessary to maintain a safe tram network as required by the Rail Safety Act 2006 (Vic).
For more information visit ptv.vic.gov.au or call 1800 800 007 6 am - midnight (all night Friday & Saturday).