Route 3/3a and 16 - Network upgrade work - Saturday 5 May to Friday 11 May
Saturday 5 May to Saturday 12 May 2018
Service changes apply on Routes 3/3a and 16, from 1.10am Saturday 5 May to last tram Friday 11 May, due to network upgrade work on Carlisle Street and Balaclava Road.
Reason for service changes
As part of the modernisation of Melbourne's tram network, we're upgrading Stop 38 Balaclava Station and renewing tram tracks along Carlisle Street and Balaclava Road, between Westbury Street and Chaddesley Avenue in Balaclava.
We're building new platform stops with improved comfort, information displays and accessibility. These works are part of an ongoing program to modernise the tram network - to deliver a safe, reliable and accessible tram network for the community.
- Buses are replacing Route 16 trams between Stop 138 Luna Park and Stop 48 Hawthorn Road, diverting around the work zone.
- Route 3/3a trams are diverting via Dandenong Road along Route 64, between Stop 30 St Kilda Junction and Stop 52 Caulfield Park Bowling Club.
- Carlisle Street/Balaclava Road passengers can take Route 16 replacement buses to connect.
- Stops 38-42 are not serviced by replacement buses.
Alternative travel options
Consider the following alternative travel options:
- Route 67 trams via St Kilda Road
- 216/219 buses via Hotham Street
- 220 buses via Orrong Road
- Sandringham trains via Balaclava Station.
Replacement buses will be low floor depending on availability. Speak to our Customer Service staff if you need assistance.
During this time, trams and replacement buses are operating to normal frequency, however they may not arrive at the scheduled time due to traffic congestion.
Plan your journey and allow extra travel time.
For train, tram and bus information or to provide feedback, call 1800 800 007 6am-midnight (all night Friday & Saturday).