Wellington Parade Tram Terminus Upgrade
25 October to 2 November 2020
The Wellington Parade tram terminus near Simpson Street, East Melbourne, is being upgraded. The changes will improve safety and increase the tram storage capacity for special events.
Early works - multiple dates from 7 September through to 24 October 2020 (not consecutive – see construction update for more details)
The work will involve:
- Setting up work area including traffic management, signage and temporary site sheds.
- Service proving and conduit installation in footpaths.
- Removal of old and installation of new overhead wires and poles
- Building new kerb for pram crossing and installing tactiles.
- Delivery, welding and grinding of tram rails.
What to expect:
- Day and night works.
- Medium-to-high levels of noise during the day e.g. concrete, asphalt and steel cutting, welding of rail.
- Mostly low-to-medium levels of noise during the night with some short periods of high level noise
e.g. rock breaking and concrete cutting.
- Local temporary lane, parking and footpath closures for short periods of time.
- All roads are open.
- Barriers and signage in place to help people navigate around works.
Major works - 10pm Sunday 25 October to 5am Monday 2 November 2020
Major works will involve:
- Set up of construction site and traffic management.
- Building elevated tracks.
- Installing new tram signals so that trams can exit safely onto the Wellington Parade.
- Building additional traffic islands to reduce illegal vehicle movements.
- Building a safe pedestrian pram crossing from Weedon Reserve to the northern side of Wellington Parade.
- Upgrading street lighting.
- Installing formal driver walkways and facilities.
- Replacing tram tracks and overhead wires on Wellington Parade.
- Reinstating the road and demobilising the site.
What to expect:
- 24-hour works.
- High levels of noise during the day and evening till 10pm.
- Wellington Parade closed between Clarendon and Hoddle streets. Traffic diversions as a result of this closure.
- No trams on Wellington Parade.
- On-street parking will not be available on Wellington Parade between Clarendon and Hoddle streets.
- Restricted vehicle access to businesses and residents in Wellington Parade during the works (refer to construction notification for more details).
- Access to Berry and Vale Streets to remain open under traffic management.
- Noise, dust and vibrations can be expected during the works.
Access to shops and businesses will be maintained. Please continue to support these businesses during the work.
Please follow signage and traffic management around the work zone and allow extra time when planning your journey.
We appreciate your patience while we complete these works.
There will be service changes to tram routes 48 and 75. We recommend you allow extra time for your journey.
For more information visit: https://yarratrams.com.au/servicechanges
Close out works
We will need to complete some close out works. This work will include old pole removals and other remediation works.
Construction during COVID-19
Critical infrastructure projects will continue during COVID-19 restrictions. This includes safety and maintenance works on roads and public transport, and road safety projects that maintain critical safe operations on the road network. To ensure the safety of all workers and the community, all construction and maintenance work undertaken will operate under a High Risk COVID Safe plan.
To find out more about the project call 0466 853 477 or email email@example.com