Wellington Parade Tram Terminus Upgrade
We’re upgrading the Wellington Parade tram terminus near Simpson Street, East Melbourne, to improve safety. The upgrade will also provide extra capacity to run more tram services during special events.
A safer terminus
We’re improving the safety of the terminus by:
- Elevating the tracks to separate trams from the road.
- Installing traffic signals to improve the intersection for motorist and trams.
- Providing additional traffic islands to reduce illegal vehicle movements.
- Providing a safe pedestrian pram crossing from Weedon Reserve to the northern side of Wellington Parade.
- Upgrading street lighting.
- Installing formal driver walkways and facilities.
- Renewing the current track and overhead infrastructure, which are more than 30 years old.
Moving Melbourne during special events
By upgrading the terminus, Yarra Trams will be able to store up to eight low floor trams during special events. The increased capacity and safety improvements will mean improved tram operations, particularly during special events.
We completed some investigation work in August and September 2019 to help inform our designs.
The upgrade work is planned for late 2020.
To allow our workers to get in and out quickly and safely, temporary closure of traffic lanes and car parks in Wellington Parade will be required. Pedestrian and localised traffic access to side streets will be maintained.
At the same time, Yarra Trams will be renewing the tram tracks and overhead wires along Wellington Parade. Doing these works together will reduce the need for separate road closures and impacts on the community.
To find out more about the project call 1800 800 007 or email firstname.lastname@example.org