Route 96 Nicholson Street Tram Stop Upgrades, Fitzroy North, Carlton North, Brunswick East
August 2019 - January 2020
Route 96 is Melbourne’s busiest tram route. Public Transport Victoria (PTV) and Yarra Trams upgrading Stops 16 to 22 and renewing track and overheads on Nicholson Street between Fitzroy/Carlton and Fitzroy North/Brunswick East.
The new stops will enable everyone to get on and off the tram safely and easily, including people who are vision impaired or using wheelchairs, prams or other mobility aids.
Preliminary works - 2 to 20 December 2019
These works are needed to prepare for the major works and include:
- Delivery and welding of tram rails (day and night work)
- Preparing for the relocation of City West Water assets including service investigations and asset testing (day and night work)
- Preparing road detour routes for Transdev buses during the major works (day and night work)
- Removal of tram shelters (day)
- Setting up traffic controls and signage.
These works are a continuation of the preliminary work we started in August 2019.
What to expect:
- Day and night works
- Medium-to-high noise during the day
- Medium noise at night
- Local temporary lane, parking and local access changes
- Workers or signs directing traffic
Major works - 2 to 19 January 2020 (24 hour work from 12.01am Thursday 2 January)
The major works will involve:
- Digging up the road and removing rubble
- Building six new tram stops
- Replacing tram tracks and overhead wires
- Relocating a water main at Stop 17
- Closing and removing Stop 19
What to expect:
- Nicholson Street closed to traffic between Johnston Street, Fitzroy and Barkly Street, Fitzroy North between 12.01am Thursday 2 January and 6.00am Sunday 19 January 2020
- Alexandra Parade closed to east-west traffic between 12.01am Thursday 2 Route 96 trams replaced by buses from last tram on Wednesday 1 January to first tram on Sunday 19 January 2020. For more information closer to the time visit - yarratrams.com.au/servicechanges
- Footpaths around the work zone will be OPEN
- Temporary east-west pedestrian crossings on Nicholson Street will be in place. These locations will move with works – observe signs and directions from workers
- Capital City Trail will be CLOSED where it crosses Nicholson Street 2 – 8 January. Please follow detours around the work zone. Many Nicholson Street businesses will be open during works – please continue to shop locally during this time.
Please follow signage and traffic management around the work zone and allow extra time when planning your journey.
We appreciate your patience while we complete these works.
The installation of new accessible stops on Nicholson Street between Brunswick Road, Brunswick East and Kay Street, Carlton, are further to works that were completed to the north and south of this section, in September 2018 and May 2019.
To find out more or subscribe for updates visit ptv.vic.gov.au/route96upgrade or 1800 800 007.