Tram track renewal - Smith Street & Queens Parade Clifton Hill
Monday 7 May 2018
As part of the modernisation of Melbourne's tram network, Yarra Trams and Public Transport Victoria are rehabilitating tram tracks at the Smith Street and Queens Parade Junction in Clifton Hill.
The tracks in the work-zone are 28 years old and need to be renewed. This project will deliver replacement of tracks and overhead wires. The renewal will also create a smoother road surface for cyclists and tram passengers.
Work will occur at the Smith Street and Queens Parade Junction in Clifton Hill.
- Preliminary works will start at 7pm Tuesday 29 May continuing as required.
- Major works will commence at 10pm Friday 1 December and will continue 24 hours a day until 5am Tuesday 5 June.
Route 86 tram services will operate at Route 86a, with buses replacing trams between Stop 10 Parliament Station and Stop 25 Clifton Hill Interchange diverting around the work zone.
For more details closer to the time, please visit our service changes page.
Melbourne Water Works
Melbourne Water has already temporarily closed the right hand turn lane from Alexandra Parade into Smith Street (city bound). From 10pm on Friday 1 June to 5am Tuesday 5 June Melbourne Water will be replacing teh drain deck under Smith Street within the Alexandra Parade intersection. The intersection will be closed and at night lanes on Alexandra Parade will be closed for the works. Through traffic on Alexandra Parade will be maintained however expect delays during night time. Melbourne Water will complete their works alongside Yarra Trams works to minimise impact to the community.
Road changes will be in place from 10pm Friday 1 June (Melbourne Water) until 5am Tuesday 5 June.
- The city-bound lane on Queens Parade will be closed from 12am Saturday 2 June until 5am Tuesday 5 June.
- One lane on Queens Parade will be open for morning city-bound traffic on Monday 4 June.
- Queens Parade outbound lanes may be reduced.
- For safety, some car parking spaces will be temporarily removed on Smith Street between Queens Parade and Council Street.
- Smith Street will be closed between Queens Parade and Alexandra Parade from 12am Saturday 2 June until 5am Tuesday 5 June
Queens Parade will have one outbound lane open to traffic from the city. Traffic controllers will direct traffic and help facilitate local access where needed.
The work zone will be fenced off for safety however footpaths will remain open to allow pedestrian access to all businesses location around the work zone.
Noise and dust
Associated noise and dust from machinery, vehicles and work crews is unavoidable but Yarra Trams will do all it can to keep this to a minimum. The noisiest work will occur between 6am and 10pm; however there may be a need to conduct noisy work outside these hours to ensure that the work is completed by 5am on Tuesday 5 December 2017.
We advise that this work is being performed in accordance with our obligations to Public Transport Victoria and is necessary to maintain a safe tram network as required by the Rail Safety Act 2006 (Vic).
For more information visit ptv.vic.gov.au or call 1800 800 007 6 am - midnight (all night Friday & Saturday).