Tram track renewal - Nicholson Street - Holmes Street and Moreland Road Junction
Friday 22 September 2017
As part of the modernisation of Melbourne's tram network, Yarra Trams and Public Transport Victoria are renewing tram tracks at the Nicholson Street / Holmes Street and Moreland Road junction in Coburg.
Yarra trams will be undertaking essential renewal work for tram tracks and overhead lines in three areas and will be installing new track switches, replacing tram track and tram poles. The work includes:
- Replacement of tram poles.
- Rail welding.
- Replacement of old tram tracks last renewed 45 years ago.
- Replacement of overhead wires.
- New automatic track switches to change tram track direction at junction.
The update will also create a smoother road surface for cyclists and tram passengers.
Preliminary track renewal work
Preliminary work involving the replacement of tram poles in the area commenced Wednesday 13 September and continues between Tuesday and Thursday each week as required.
Rail welding will start at 8pm untill 6am each night at three locations:
- East side of Nicholson Street between Moreland Road and Moore Street from Wednesday 18 October.
- West side of Holmes Street between Moreland Road and Davies Street from Tuesday 24 October.
- North side of Moreland Road at Campbell Reserve from Thursday 26 October.
Major track renewal work
Major works will commence at 12:01 am on Saturday 28 October and will continue 24 hours a day until 5am Monday 6 November 2017.
Major work will occur in Coburg at:
- Nicholson Street / Holmes Street and Moreland Road Junction.
- Nicholson Street / Holmes Street between Davies Street and The Grove.
- Moreland Road between Nicholson Street / Holmes Street and Grant Street.
Route 1 and 6 services will be affected.
For preliminary work, traffic will be managed but no roads will be closed.
Due to the nature of works, there will be two road closures in place from 12:01 am Saturday 28 October until 5am Monday 6 November 2017.
- Nicholson Street / Holmes Street will be closed between Davies Street and The Grove.
- Moreland Road will be closed between Nicholson Street / Holmes Street and Grant Street.
Information regarding local access will be provided in the next update.
Traffic controllers will direct traffic and help facilitate access where needed.
The work zone will be fenced off for safety however footpaths will remain open to allow pedestrian access to all businesses located around the work zone.
Noise and dust
Associated noise and dust from machinery, vehicles and work crews is unavoidable, but Yarra Trams will do all it can to keep this to a minimum. The noisiest work will occur between 6am and 10pm; however there may be a need to conduct noisy work outside these hours to ensure that the work is completed by 5am Monday 6 November 2017.
We advise that this work is being performed in accordance with our obligations to Public Transport Victoria and is necessary to maintain a safe tram network as required by the Rail Safety Act 2006 (Vic).
For more information visit ptv.vic.gov.au or call 1800 800 007 6 am - midnight (all night Friday & Saturday).
- Notification Letter Update 1 Tram Renewal Nicholson Street - Holmes Street and Moreland Road Coburg (PDF, 187 KB)
- Notification Letter Update 2 Tram Renewal Nicholson Street - Holmes Street and Moreland Road Coburg (PDF, 2116 KB)
- Resident Access Changes Letter Update - Temporary Access Changes (PDF, 1247 KB)