Tram track rehabilitation - Sydney Road and Moreland Road Junction
Thursday 26 October 2017
As part of the modernisation of Melbourne's tram network, Yarra Trams and Public Transport Victoria are rehabilitating tram tracks at the Sydney Road and Moreland Road junction.
The tracks in the work-zone are 16 years old and need to be rehabilitated. Automatic track switches will be installed to change tram track direction. Redundant rail will be removed on Sydney Road to create a smoother road surface. The rehabilitation will increase service reliability, safety and ride comfort for passengers.
Major work will occur at
- The Sydney Road and Moreland Road junction.
- Sydney Road between Cozens Street and Allen Street.
Works will commence at 2:01 am on Saturday 18 November and will continue 24 hours a day until 5am Tuesday 21 November 2017.
Route 6 and 19 services will be affected.
For more details closer, please visit the Routes 6 and 19 tram service changes page.
Due to the nature of works, there will be two road closures in place from 2:01 am Saturday 18 November until 4am Monday 20 November.
- Moreland Road will be closed between Cameron Street and De Carle Street.
- Sydney Road will be closed between Allen Street and Cozens Street.
From 4am Monday 20 November Moreland Road will be reopened with no left or right turn into Sydney Road. These closures will apply until 5am Tuesday 21 November 2017.
- Sydney Road between Moreland Road and Cozens Street.
- Sydney Road between Moreland Road and Allen Street.
Temporary parking changes
During the project, there will be no parking on Sydney Road between Albion Street and Moreland Road.
- Temporary signage will be in place 6pm Friday 17 November to 6am Tuesday 21 November.
- Additional signage will be in place to inform drivers of nearby parking options during the project.
The work zone will be fenced off for safety however footpaths will remain open to allow pedestrian access to all busiensses location around the work zone.
Noise and dust
Associated noise and dust from machinery, vehicles and work crews is unavoidable but Yarra Trams will do all it can to keep this to a minimum. The noisiest work will occur between 6am and 10pm; however there may be a need to conduct noisy work outside these hours to ensure that the work is completed by 5am on Tuesday 21 November 2017.
We advise that this work is being performed in accordance with our obligations to Public Transport Victoria and is necessary to maintain a safe tram network as required by the Rail Safety Act 2006 (Vic).
For more information visit ptv.vic.gov.au or call 1800 800 007 6 am - midnight (all night Friday & Saturday).