Tram Network Upgrade - Collins and Queen Street
Thursday 23 March 2017
Public Transport Victoria (PTV) in partnership with Yarra Trams, will be installing two new poles to feed the upgraded power supply into the tram network at the intersection of Collins and Queen Street. This power upgrade work is required to support new trams and modern infrastructure to help cater for the future demand of Melbourne's tram network.
What is planned?
This work will involve use of heavy machinery to undertake saw cutting, concrete/asphalt breaking and excavation activities.
- This work is due to occur from Monday 10 to Wednesday 12 April 2017
- To minimise disruption to the travelling public, it is necessary to carry out this work at night when trams are not operating
- Work will be predominantly carried out each night from 9pm-5am; however the level of on-site work will vary during this time with some periods of low activity
- Please refer to the map below for more detail about the
location and timing of works
- Temporary lane and footpath closures will be required to complete these works
- Traffic controllers will be present to help minimise disruption to motorists and pedestrians
- Please look for warning signage and follow the direction of traffic controllers
- Please note trams will not be affected during this power upgrade work
Minimising impacts for the local community
- During this time, residents and traders can expect to hear some construction-related noise
- Our workers will be mindful of keeping noise to a minimum and respecting the needs of the local community
Providing a tram network for the future
Upgrading tram power is an important part of modernising Melbourne's tram network. These upgrades will help deliver a more reliable power supply to support high capacity trams as they are introduced across the network.
Keeping the local community informed
PTV and Yarra Trams are committed to keeping the local community informed of construction activity and progress, and as a result will be providing regular updates. We thank you for your patience and understanding during this important upgrade work.
- If you would like to know more about this upgrade, please call 1800 800 007 or email email@example.com
- Tram Network Upgrade - Collins and Queen Street notification letter (PDF, 381KB)