Tram Network Upgrade - Brighton East
Friday 31 March 2017
Yarra Trams and Public Transport Victoria (PTV) wish to update you on the power substation works on the corner of Nepean Highway and Hawthorn Road, Brighton East.The architectural treatment works commenced in mid-Jan 2017 and are expected to be completed in mid-2017.
What is planned?
The architectural work activity includes;
- Manufacturing of steel frames (completed off-site)
- Excavation for foundations
- Erection of steel frames
- Installation of timber façade
In conjunction with this activity, further testing and commissioning will take place around the substation building to connect it into the network.
These works will be predominantly carried out each weekday between 7:00am-5:30pm, however some occasional work may need to be undertaken on Saturdays between 8:00am-2:00pm.
Below is an artist impression of the architectural treatment
that will be applied to the substation building.
Minimising impacts for the local community
During this time, residents and traders can expect to hear some construction-related noise. Our workers will be mindful of keeping noise to a minimum and respecting the needs of the local community.
Providing a tram network for the future
- Upgrading tram power is an important part of modernising Melbourne's tram network. This substation at Brighton East will provide power to nearby Route 64.
- Upgrades to substations will deliver a more reliable power supply to support high capacity trams as they are introduced across the network.
Keeping the local community informed
- PTV and Yarra Trams are committed to keeping the local community informed of construction activity and progress. We thank you for your patience and understanding during this important upgrade work.
- If you would like to know more about this upgrade, please call 1800 800 007 or email firstname.lastname@example.org