Tram Network Upgrade - Bourke/Spencer Street
Thursday 23 February 2017
Public Transport Victoria (PTV) in partnership with Yarra Trams, will be installing underground cables to feed the upgraded power supply into the tram network at the intersection of Bourke/Spencer Street. These power upgrade works are required to support new trams and modern infrastructure to help cater for the future demand of Melbourne's tram network.
What is planned?
- These works are required to connect conduits in the road and will involve use of heavy machinery to undertake saw cutting, concrete/asphalt breaking and excavation activities.
- These works are due to occur from Monday 27 February to Wednesday 1 March, 2017. To minimise disruption to the travelling public, it is necessary to carry out these works at night when trams are not operating. Work will be predominantly carried out each night from 10:00pm-6:00am, however the level of on-site work will vary during this time with some periods of low activity. Saw-cutting activity will only be undertaken on the first night of the works period.
- Please refer to the map below for more detail about the location and timing of works.
Minimising impacts for the local community
- During this time, residents and traders can expect to hear some construction-related noise. Our workers will be mindful of keeping noise to a minimum and respecting the needs of the local community.
Providing a tram network for the future
- Upgrading tram power is an important part of modernising Melbourne's tram network. These upgrades will help deliver a more reliable power supply to support high capacity trams as they are introduced across the network.
Keeping the local community informed
PTV and Yarra Trams are committed to keeping the local community informed of construction activity and progress, and as a result will be providing regular updates. We thank you for your patience and understanding during this important upgrade work.
If you would like to know more about this upgrade, please call 1800 800 007 or email firstname.lastname@example.org