Tram Infrastructure Renewal - Fishermans Bend precinct Stop 125a and Southbank Entrances - 10 to 14 August 2017
Friday 21 July 2017
As part of the modernisation of Melbourne's tram network, Yarra Trams and Public Transport Victoria are improving the 125a tram stop and entrances to Southbank Depot.
Yarra trams will be undertaking essential renewal work for tram tracks improving the entrance to the depot, installing new track switches and improving passenger stop facilities at stop 125a. The work includes:
- Dismantling the old stop including furniture and shelters.
- Removing the old infrastructure auto point motors, concrete, overhead wires and rails.
- Installing a new track with semi-resilient asphalt finish for less noise.
- Replacing tram tracks, overhead wires and automatic points for trams to turn into the depot.
- Building a new shelter with improved lighting and furniture.
This new infrastructure will improve operational efficiency for the depot, reduce the chance of derailments and create a smoother road surface for cyclists and tram passengers.
Preliminary renewal work
Preliminary work commenced Monday 31 July and involves deliveries and preparation of the site. This work will continue as needed during business hours.
Major renewal work
Works will commence at 12:01am on Thursday 10 August and will continue 24 hours a day until 5am Monday 14 August 2017.
Major work will occur in three areas:
- 125a tram stop under the overpass at the southern side of Normanby Road opposite the entrance to the Melbourne Convention and Entertainment and Centre.
- East entrance Southbank Depot.
- West entrance Southbank Depot.
Route 96, 109 and Tram Restaurant services will be affected
- Please see service change update Routes 96 & 109 - Tram improvement work - Wednesday 9 August to Monday 14 August.
For preliminary work, traffic will be managed but no roads will be closed.
A partial road closure will be in place on Normanby Road from 12am Thursday 10 August until 5am Monday 14 July 2017.
- Normanby Road will have one lane closed on the southern side, opposite MCEC.
Detours will not apply as there are no full road closures. Traffic controllers will direct traffic and help facilitate local access where needed.
Pedestrians and Cyclists
The work zone will be fenced off for safety. During the works access to pedestrian and bike paths around stop 125a and stop 126 will change. Signage will direct pedestrians and cyclists to alternative paths.
Noise and dust
Associated noise and dust from machinery, vehicles and work crews is unavoidable, but Yarra Trams will do all it can to keep this to a minimum. The noisiest work will occur between 6am and 10pm; however there may be a need to conduct noisy work outside these hours to ensure that the work is completed by 5am Monday 14 August 2017.
We advise that this work is being performed in accordance with our obligations to Public Transport Victoria and is necessary to maintain a safe tram network as required by the Rail Safety Act 2006 (Vic).
For more information visit ptv.vic.gov.au or call 1800 800 007 6 am - midnight (all night Friday & Saturday).