Tram track maintenance and renewal - Melville Rd and Dawson Street - Pascoe Vale and Brunswick West
Friday 11 November 2016
As part of the modernisation of Melbourne's tram network, Yarra Trams and Public Transport Victoria are renewing tram tracks on Melville Road, Brunswick West. To minimise future disruptions, Yarra Trams will also be repairing sections of tram tracks on Dawson Street between Grantham Street and Melville Road/Halpin Street.
Tram tracks within the work zones are between 14 and 40 years old. The renewed track will deliver a better road surface for motorists, cyclists and tram passengers, produce less tram noise due to potholes, broken rails and wheel squealing and will be quicker to repair in the future.
Preliminary work track renewal
Preliminary work will commence on Tuesday 6 December 2016 and continue until major works commence on 10 December 2016. Preliminary work will occur on Melville Road between Reynard Street and Lever Street/Woodlands Avenue and will require the removal of some car parking spaces to facilitate the unloading and pre-welding of rails. Please note, there will be no vehicle access to Braemar Street from Melville Road during the preliminary work.
Preliminary work overhead wire renewal
Preliminary work will commence on overhead wires on Monday 28 November 2016 and continue until major works begin. Work on overhead wires will occur on Melville Road between Bell Street and Dawson Street. Work will commence each evening after last tram services and conclude before first tram services resume in the morning.
Major work track mainteance and renewal
Major work will occur in three sections:
- Track renewal works on Melville Road between Lever Street and Reynard Street. Major work will also occur on Melville Road between Irvine Crescent and north of Moreland Road during this time. Work will commence at 12:01am Saturday 10 December 2016 and continue 24 hours a day until 5am Thursday 15 December 2016.
- Maintenance works on Dawson Street between Grantham Street and Melville Road. Additional works will also occur on Melville Road between Dawson Street and Halpin Street.Maintenance work will commence at 12:01am Saturday 10 December 2016 and continue 24 hours a day until 5am Monday 12 December 2016.
Route 55 trams will be replaced by buses between Stop 26 Royal Park Station and West Coburg. Stop changes will apply and replacement buses will operate different routes on the weekend. For tram service changes please refer to signage on the network, tramTRACKER visiting the Yarra Trams service changes page here.
Full road closures will apply within the work-zones and detours will be in place. Works will be staged however to maximise traffic flow. Road closures will be in place in the following locations at the followings times:
- Melville Road will be closed between Irvine Crescent and Reynard Street (including the intersection at Moreland Road) from 12:01am Saturday 10 December until 5am Monday 12 December. Lever Street/Woodlands Avenue will remain open during these times to allow for through traffic.
- Moreland Road will reopen at 5am Monday 12 December. Melville Road will remain closed between Reynard Street and Lever Street/Woodlands Avenue until 5am Thursday 15 December 2016.
- Dawson Street will be closed between Grantham Street and Melville Road/Halpin Street from 12:01am Saturday 10 December until 5am Monday 12 December 2016.
Vehicle access within the work-zones will be severely restricted during the work period. Residents are strongly advised to utilise parking in near-by side streets to ensure lengthy delays are not incurred. Access will be primarily restricted to work machinery and emergency vehicles only.
The work zone will be fenced off for safety but footpaths will remain open to allow pedestrian access to businesses and residences on Melville Road and Dawson Street.
Noise and dust
Associated noise and dust from machinery, vehicles and work crews is unavoidable but Yarra Trams will do all it can to keep this to a minimum. The noisiest work will occur between 6am and 10pm, however there may be a need to conduct noisy work outside these hours to ensure that the work is completed by 5am Thursday 15 December 2016.
We thank you for your patience and regret any inconvenience caused by this essential repair work.
We advise that it is being performed in accordance with our obligations to Public Transport Victoria and is necessary to maintain a safe tram network as required by the Rail Safety Act 2006 (Vic).
For public transport information, customer feedback & to report graffiti call 1800 800 007 6am-midnight (all night Friday & Saturday) or visit ptv.vic.gov.au