Macarthur Street easy access stop opens
Wednesday 1 February 2012
The completion of a new 'easy access' stop at Parliament Station will provide improved access to trams while also allowing traffic to share the same road space.
Stop 10 on Macarthur Street (Routes 11, 31, 109 and 112) has been upgraded by Think Tram, which is managed by VicRoads in partnership with the Department of Transport and Yarra Trams.
Pedestrians will have safer access to trams as cars will need to enter a dedicated area of road (pictured) alerting them to where trams will stop.
Using easy access Stop 10
The new easy access stop on Macarthur Street is different to other stops in Melbourne. It is important that passengers, drivers and cyclists know how to use the stop safely and that everyone 'shares the road with care'
How to use the easy access stop
- use the easy access stop like a kerbside tram stop
- stand on the footpath behind the yellow line
- then hail the tram and cross the road from the footpath to the tram when it stops
- drive over the easy access stop in the kerbside lane
- must obey the road rules for driving with trams and stop at the rear of the stopped tram for boarding and alighting passengers
- may not drive in the Tramway (tram only lane) from Spring Street to Albert Street (except to turn where permitted)
- use the bicycle lane
- share the road space with other general traffic at the easy access stop
- must obey the road rules for driving with trams and stop on the easy access stop at the rear of the stopped tram for boarding and alighting passengers
- on Macarthur Street travel adjacent to the easy access stop in a Tramway (tram only lane)
- stop at the easy access stop to pick up and drop off passengers.