Tram track renewal - Lygon Street between Weston Street and Elgin Street
As part of the modernisation of Melbourne's tram network, Yarra
Trams and Public Transport Victoria are renewing tram tracks along
Lygon Street between Weston Street and Elgin Street.
The track in the work area are more than 50 years old and need
to be renewed.
Improved safety kerbing and line marking will reduce the risk of
vehicle-tram collisions, supporting the safety and reliability for
all road users.
This project will deliver:
- Replacement of the track and overhead lines
- New safety kerbing to improve tram to vehicle separation
between Weston Street and Elgin Street
- Red markings at intersections to improve road safety
The renewed track will create a smoother road surface providing
a quieter ride with less tram noise.
Yarra Trams will be installing detector loops for traffic
signals along Lygon Street at the intersections of Park Street,
Holtom Street East, Pigdon Street, Richardson Street, Lytton Street
and Waterloo Street.
- Detector loop installation will occur 15, 16 and 17 January
from 10pm to 6am
- This work will involve mechanical drilling outside standard
hours at night
On Thursday at 11 January 10:45am water was reconnected for
properties north of Princes St along Lygon street to Macpherson
Preliminary rail welding starts Sunday 3 December 2017 until
major works commence on the west side of Lygon Street between
Cemetery Road East / Princes Street and MacPherson Street.
Selected tram poles will be replaced. Notification letters will
be sent to affected residents with further details.
Major works will occur 24 hours a day on Lygon Street.
- Area 1 - Weston Street to Park Street from 12:01am Wednesday 3
January until 5am Monday 8 January
- Area 2 - Park Street to Cemetery Road East / Princes Street
from 12:01am Wednesday 3 January until 5am Wednesday 17
- Area 3 - Cemetery Road East to Elgin Street from 2:01am Monday
8 January to 5am Wednesday 17 January
Due to the staged nature of these works, there may be minor
variations to the above timeframes.
- Route 1 and 6 services will operate as Route
1a & 6a
- Buses will replace trams between Stop 1 Melbourne University
and Stop 122 Glenlyon Road
Buses will divert around the work zone, travelling via Rathdowne
For a map and further details, please see
Route 1 and 6 - Tram improvement work- Wednesday 3 to Tuesday 16
During preliminary works, lane closures and local traffic
management will be in place butroads will be closed.
To avoid delays when using vehicles please park in side streets,
noting local conditions.
During major works, temporary fencing will be erected along the
kerb on Lygon Street.
Staged road closures will be in place on Lygon Street
between 12:01 Wednesday 3 January until 5am Wednesday 17 January
During major works, road openings for vehicles will be available
- Cemetery Road East / Princes Street throughout the project
- Park Street between Wednesday 3 January and Sunday 7 January
- Brunswick Road between Monday 8 January and Wednesday 17
Information regarding local access will be provided to affected
residents including changes to rubbish collections.
Traffic controllers will direct traffic and help facilitate
local access where needed. To avoid delays when using vehicles
please park in side streets, noting local conditions.
Bin collections during this time
There will be minor changes to bin collections along Lygon
Street from 3 January to 17 January 2018.
- City of Moreland residents and businesses: bin night changes
from 5th of January to 8th of January
- City of Yarra residents and businesses: Put bins out as normal
- Yarra Trams will work in collaboration with Council for waste
- City of Melbourne residents and businesses: Put bins out as
normal - Yarra Trams will work in collaboration with Council for
For missed collections please call:
- City of Moreland (Mon-Fri 8.30am-5pm) (03) 9240 1111
- City of Yarra (03) 9205 5555
- City of Melbourne (03) 9658 9658
The work zone will be fenced off for safety however footpaths
will remain open around the work area to allow pedestrian access to
businesses and residences located around the work zone.
The capital city bike trail through the Linear Park Reserve will
be temporarily closed at Lygon Street. A temporary detour will be
in place for the bike trail.
Noise and dust
Associated noise and dust from machinery, vehicles and work
crews is unavoidable, but Yarra Trams will do all it can to keep
this to a minimum. The noisiest work will occur between 6am and
10pm; however there may be a need to conduct noisy work outside
these hours to ensure that the work is completed by 5am Wednesday
17 January 2018.
We advise that this work is being performed in accordance with
our obligations to Public Transport Victoria and is necessary to
maintain a safe tram network as required by the Rail Safety Act
For more information visit ptv.vic.gov.au or call 1800 800
007 6am - midnight (all night Friday & Saturday).