Our commitment to the environment
Trams are one of the most ecologically sound modes of
transport; moving large numbers of people, easing congestion on
roads and reducing air pollution.
At Yarra Trams, our aim is a sustainable transport
system, which delivers a positive contribution to the environment,
community and the economy.
In order to achieve continual improvement in the way we
manage our impacts on the environment, we have developed and
implemented an environmental management system which is certified
to ISO14001 standard.
Another key initiative is the Greendepot
Yarra Trams has implemented the greendepot® program at
Brunswick, East Preston, Essendon, Glenhuntly Malvern and Southbank
depots, saving more than seven million litres of water each
The greendepot® initiative comprises the following:
- Installation of rainwater tanks - rainwater stored is
used for washing trams
- Waterless urinals and water saving toilet
- Installation of flow restrictors on all taps and
showerheads - reducing the flow rate from approximately 32 litres
per minute to four litres per minute
- Fully segregated waste disposal focuses on recycling and
- Collection and recycling of tram sand
- Raingarden using recycled tram sand to filter
- Worm farms to reduce food waste
- Rezoning lights in the running shed and reconfiguring
light switches across the depot to reduce energy
- Staff environmental awareness program.